You are here
The mission of Cooperative Federal is to
- manage the aggregate assets of members in responsible ways,
- rebuild our local economy in ways that foster justice, and
- serve the financial needs of members and those underserved by conventional financial institutions.
Art by Karen Kerney
We Build The Road As We Travel
The motto “We Build The Road As We Travel” captures the belief of credit union activists that by working together we can rebuild a new and more just world while we live within the current conditions. The motto is taken from José María Arizmendiarrieta, the founder of the vast Mondragon Cooperative society in the Basque territory.
Values and Goals
Cooperative Federal represents values of cooperation and mutual aid, works to inspire others to these values, and serves those who are not served by a global economy that appears distant and unresponsive. The credit union is part of the movement against injustice, disempowerment, discrimination, corporate irresponsibility, and environmental degradation. Cooperative Federal seeks to improve the lives of members and to revitalize our local community.
The goals of Cooperative Federal are to:
- serve the financial needs of those in the broad movement for social justice;
- serve those unserved or underserved by for-profit financial institutions;
- build an economy in opposition to the structures of injustice;
- manage the aggregate assets of members in responsible ways;
- foster cultural and social alternatives; and
- advance the cooperative movement.