You are here
By pairing the tools of finance with personalized guidance, Cooperative Federal fosters inclusion, equity, and solidarity in the diverse neighborhoods of Syracuse. Joining our team is making a choice to dedicate yourself to building our local community and advancing social justice.
Marketing and Communications Specialist
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Specialist
Reports to: Development & Communications Manager
General Scope of Role: The Marketing & Communications Specialist will plan, organize, and implement outreach and communications projects to help achieve Cooperative Federal’s strategic goals and promote our mission in the greater Syracuse community.
Status: Part Time (20 hours per week)
- Develop and implement marketing plans for Cooperative Federal’s programs and services.
- Collaborate with the Development & Communications Manager to create a calendar for advertising to members (statement ads, email campaigns, digital and print media in credit union lobbies, mailings, etc.) and prospective members (digital and social media advertising, SEO, local media, event sponsorships, tabling, etc.)
- Design, revise, or update outreach materials as needed (ads, brochures, graphics, etc.).
- Lead the execution of these plans.
- Work with the Development & Communications Manager to assess these activities and evaluate effectiveness.
- Create a social media strategy and calendar.
- Curate content and develop original content as needed, including graphic design, photography, and DIY video production
- Monitor analytics to identify trends and maximize engagement.
- Update and manage content on Cooperative Federal’s website; participate in periodic website redesign projects.
Cultivate awareness about Cooperative Federal’s activities, mission and impact among staff, members, funders, community partners, and other stakeholders.
- Produce quarterly e-newsletters including organization, layout, editing, and writing or sourcing content; collaborate with the Development & Communications Manager to identify stories; monitor analytics to identify trends and maximize engagement.
- Promote a storytelling culture among staff by collecting and sharing internal stories.
- Collaborate with the Development & Communications Manager to create and publish Annual Reports.
- Attend, exhibit, and/or speak at community events.
- Help maintain connections and relationships with community partners.
- Assist with development of a PR strategy including media alerts and press releases.
Build and maintain Cooperative Federal’s brand.
- Ensure that Cooperative Federal’s brand elements are used effectively and consistently in print and digital materials.
- Improve brand visibility through signage, etc. in Cooperative Federal lobbies.
- Cultivate member experiences that are consistent with our desired brand identity by working with Member Services staff to beautify our offices, minimize clutter, and keep promotional materials in stock.
- Collaborate with colleagues to periodically assess and revise Cooperative Federal’s brand elements and branding strategy.
- Cultivate a growing database of “member stories” that can be used to craft compelling marketing messages, and to demonstrate our impact to members, funders and allies. *
- Completed member stories include: interview & brief article; photos; publicity release.
- Work with Program Sustainability & Outreach Coordinator and other staff members to identify prospective interviewees. Attempt to alternate between stories that showcase our homeownership, micro business, and personal finance products & services with an emphasis on lending and advising.
- Recruit and support volunteers as appropriate to assist with interviewing, writing and photography.
- Develop a strategy for efficiently using these stories in multi-media formats, and providing ample content for the annual report.
- Participate in organization-wide Strategic Planning and help pursue strategic goals.
*Attend meetings and actively contribute ideas.
**Related projects may include: Business development / Field of Membership expansion; Member Onboarding and Reboarding; Product development
- Participate in all-staff and department meetings.
- Perform other reasonable duties as may be requested.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Superior writing, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Creative Cloud (especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Familiarity with video production and editing is preferred (Adobe Premiere)
- Experience with or knowledge related to marketing/advertising, branding, graphic design, social media strategy, community outreach and/or community organizing
- Culturally competent; comfortable working with a diverse range of clients, colleagues, and underserved populations
- Organized, motivated and self-directed; able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about financial inclusion and economic justice
- Bilingual candidates preferred, especially English/Spanish
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Primarily works in standard office conditions and climate
- Often required to work at desk and computer for extended periods of time; to walk; to conduct phone interviews; and to use their hands and fingers.
- Occasionally required lift and carry up to 20 pounds
- Travel may be required, primarily in Central New York
- These physical requirements are representative of what is necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Marketing Specialist position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people to perform the described essential functions.
Job Type: Part-time
To apply for any of these positions, please email a cover letter and your resume to Coop Fed's HR team.
You can also check out other ways to get involved with Coop Fed.