You are here
By pairing the tools of finance with personalized guidance, Cooperative Federal fosters inclusion, equity, and solidarity in the diverse neighborhoods of Syracuse. Joining our team is making a choice to dedicate yourself to building our local community and advancing social justice.
Job Type: Full-time
Oversee and manage the financial and accounting functions of Community Development Credit Union with $25M in assets, to include: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, general ledger, financial analysis, financial reporting and recordkeeping, and payroll. Supervise staff in accounting activities (1 FTE).
Our ideal candidate is driven by our mission to build a just local economy, and is a solutions-focused problem-solver who loves working with and interpreting numbers and data. Training and a transition period from prior staff will be provided.
The following essential duties are driven by our mission: to serve those underserved by conventional financial institutions, to manage our members’ assets responsibly, and rebuild the local economy in ways that foster justice:
1) Oversee and manage the financial and accounting functions of the credit union to include: Accounts
Payable, Accounts Receivable, general ledger, financial analysis, financial reporting and recordkeeping, and payroll.
2) Supervise and support staff performing accounting activities.
3) Responsible for general ledger reconciliation, and preparation and posting of some journal entries. File and store general ledger journals daily.
4) Reconcile outstanding checks and perform stale-dated check follow-up.
5) Handle escheatment of unclaimed account funds and uncashed checks.
6) Post to accounts receivable, reconcile outstanding receivables, and prepare accounts receivables reports.
7) Review daily cash balances. Prepare and distribute daily cash balance report.
8) Prepare daily reconciliation of credit union transaction account, including share draft deposits.
9) Research and adjust all open items and variances, coordinating with other staff as needed.
10) Produce monthly financial statements; prepare the draft Allowance for Loan Loss calculation for monthly review.
11) Complete the quarterly NCUA Call Report.
12) Prepare data for Asset Liability Management analysis and review.
13) Participate in the Product Development team to institute new programs or products and evaluate current products and services.
14) Participate in Management Team meetings and strategic planning sessions.
15) Serve as a liaison to the Supervisory Committee. Provided requested reports, assist with account verification coordination, assist with external auditor coordination.
16) Coordinate Financial Analysis committee meetings and prepare, or direct preparation of, committee reports: cash over/short, fraudulent transaction disputes, detailed budget variance reports, Allowance for Loan Loss calculation, liquidity, etc.
17) Follow credit union policies and procedures. Develop and implement processes to streamline credit union accounting practices.
18) Write or update procedures for all tasks in area of responsibility.
19) Ensure that procedures and practices adhere to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
20) Handle payroll process. Process biweekly payroll files using vendor program, currently ADP. Enter new employees into payroll and timesheet system and assist staff with password resets as needed. Update vacation accruals and sick accruals. Update payroll deductions, garnishments, etc as appropriate. Transmit 401(k) contribution data to plan vendor. Prepare and post payroll journal entries.
23) Report to management on an ongoing basis on issues pertaining to either staff or members which may give rise for concern.
24) Support management in the implementation of board policies and directives.
25) Participate in strategic planning; serve as a leader for activities and initiatives to reach strategic goals and growth plan.
26) Attend trainings and meetings as required by the credit union.
27) Undertake such other reasonable and lawful duties as may be directed from time to time by the CEO.
Other Job Requirements and Qualifications
1) Ability to use verbal and written communication to resolve issues with staff and service providers, and ability to provide detailed records of activities as needed
2) Ability to collaborate with other staff members to achieve work outcomes
3) Demonstrated ability to positively represent and promote the credit union and its mission, policies, programs and services
4) Positive attitude and ability to exhibit courteous, patient and professional behavior
5) Good judgment with regard to confidentiality, privacy and professionalism, and ability to consistently exhibit trustworthy and fair behavior
6) Three years accounting experience or equivalent training, experience with credit union and/or nonprofit accounting preferred
7) Basic Windows and Internet skills required to perform web-based functions, and ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and email software
8) Must have or develop a thorough knowledge of Ultradata General Ledger System
9) Ability to handle numeric and textual information with high accuracy and repeatability
10) Ability to work regular hours in a facility with environmental factors that would ordinarily be expected in a place that is open to the public
11) Ability to physically access office workspace and filing systems
12) Cross-train essential duties to ensure efficiency during vacations and sick days
These physical requirements are representative of what is necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people to perform the described essential functions.
Must occasionally lift up to 15 pounds.
Work requires sitting, standing, bending, and use of hands and fingers.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Compensation & Benefits
Staff Positions: Rate of pay depends on experience. Our competitive benefits package includes health insurance, dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, group life insurance; option to join 401k retirement savings plan at 6 month anniversary; sick and vacation days plus all federal holidays off with pay.
AmeriCorps Positions: Form more information about national service compensation and benefits, please check out VISTA Campus.
To apply for an open position, please email a cover letter and your resume to Coop Fed's HR team. Cooperative Federal is an equal opportunity employer.
You can also check out other ways to get involved with Coop Fed.