You are here
By pairing the tools of finance with personalized guidance, Cooperative Federal fosters inclusion, equity, and solidarity in the diverse neighborhoods of Syracuse. Joining our team is making a choice to dedicate yourself to building our local community and advancing social justice.
Business Program Navigator
Job Type: Full-time
Summary of Responsibilities:
Guide applicants through the business loan process
Provide connections to business resources in the community
Maintain regular contact with current business borrowers and members
Perform intake, process, and underwrite microenterprise loans.
Workwith Development and Communications manager to manage current business program grants and to secure funding to support current and expanded business programming at the credit union.
Help implement the credit union’s public communications and outreach strategies for business program.
Three or more years of experience in at least one of the following areas: small business/microenterprise lending or small business technical assistance, community development finance, grant and/or nonprofit management, entrepreneurship or business ownership.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English or other languages) candidates are preferred.
Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with a variety of diverse members, staff, and officials; to embrace the mission of serving the underserved.
Job Type: Full-time
Maintain reliable accounting information and reporting for management planning and decision-making and for fulfillment of financail reporting requirements. Reconcile general ledger and bank accounts. Prepare and post journal entries. Handle payroll processing.
- Responsible for general ledger reconciliation, and preparation and posting of some journal entries. File and store general ledger journals daily.
- Set up prepaid and fixed assets in the electronic asset register. Run the depreciation program and prepare reconciliation reports.
- Review accounts payable checks produced by other staff, for proper authorization. Serve as a back-up for accounts payable, if needed.
- Reconcile outstanding checks and perform stale-dated check follow-up.
- Post to accounts receivable, reconcile outstanding receivables, and prepare accounts receivables reports.
- Review daily cash balances.
- Prepare daily reconciliation of credit union transaction accounts, including share draft deposits.
- Research and adjust all open items and variances, coordinating with other staff as needed.
- Handle escheatment of unclaimed account funds and uncashed checks.
- Handle payroll process. Process biweekly payroll files using vendor program, currently ADP. Enter new employees into payroll and timesheet system and assist staff with password resets as needed. Update vacation accruals and sick accruals. Update payroll deductions, garnishments, etc as appropriate. Transmit 401(k) contribution data to plan vendor. Prepare and post payroll journal entries.
- Follow credit union policies and procedures. Develop and implement processes to streamline credit union accounting practices.
- Write or update procedures for all tasks in area of responsibility.
- Ensure that procedures and practices adhere to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to use verbal and written communication to resolve issues with staff and service providers, and ability to provide detailed records of activities as needed
- Ability to collborate with other staff members to achieve work outcomes
- Three years of accounting experience or equivalent training; experience with credit union and/or nonprofit accounting preferred
- Ability to handle numeric and textual information with high accuracy and repeatability
- Ability to work regular hours in a facility with environmental factors that would ordinarily be expected in a place that is open to the public
These physical requirements are representative of what is necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Accounting Specialist position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people to perform the described essential functions.
The Accounting Specialist is often required to sit, to walk, to bend, and to use their hands and fingers. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 lbs.
Health insurance, dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, group life insurance; option to join 401k retirement savings plan at 6 month anniversary; sick and vacation days plus all federal holidays off with pay.
To apply for an open staff position, please email a cover letter and your resume to Coop Fed's HR team. Cooperative Federal is an equal opportunity employer.
You can also check out other ways to get involved with Coop Fed.