You are here
Cooperative Federal has been Syracuse's local mortgage lender since 1986. We specialize in providing hands-on assistance to help you confidently navigate the mortgage process.
In addition to mortgages and home equity loans, we have resources to help you succeed. Cooperative Federal provides down payment matching grants to eligible first-time homebuyers, plus HUD-approved housing and credit counseling.
What We Offer
We make mortgages for purchase, refinance, construction and home improvement, including investment properties. Whether you're a first-time homebuyer or just looking for a better lender, our non-profit credit union has a home loan that is right for you.
- Fixed Rate Mortgages have interest rates that stay the same over the life of the loan. This is a good fit if you plan to live in your home for many years.
- FHA Mortgages allow for low down payments and have relaxed qualification guidelines.
- VA Loans provide special mortgage terms for veterans and active duty military personnel.
- USDA Mortgages are available for low and moderate income households in select areas.
- 5/1 Hybrid ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) have fixed interest rates for the first five years and adjust annually after that (up or down, depending on the current market). We have caps on how much the rate can adjust each year, and you get the benefit of a lower initial interest rate and monthly payment than you'd get on a fixed rate mortgage. This may be the most affordable option for many first-time buyers, or for homebuyers that plan to move again after a few years.
Depending on your situation and the type of mortgage you're seeking, we may refer you to our partners at Owners Choice.* Owners Choice is a company founded by credit unions, to serve credit union members. When you work with Owners Choice, you're still working with us! We earn revenue from your mortgage, helping to support our community development mission -- and we're always here to assist with any issues that arise.
Cooperative Federal is a small, local credit union. We keep some mortgages in our own portfolio; others may be sold to or brokered for local and national partners. By working with partners, Coop Fed can bring you a wider range of mortgage options, and can "recycle" our capital. This makes it possible for us to continue serving new members and putting money to work in Syracuse neighborhoods. No matter what, our mortgage team is always here to help you answer questions and find assistance.
We know that love makes a family. Cooperative Federal was founded to promote economic equality. For three decades, we've made mortgages to all kinds of couples, as well as to individuals, friends, family members and cooperatives.
Our members have the option of purchasing Home Insurance through TruStage Insurance Agency. Read more about TruStage.
In addition to our in-house programs, Coop Fed can help you connect with many other local resources such as down payment assistance, home repair and energy effiency grants, classes and legal assistance. Here are some of the partners we work with.*
- Home HeadQuarters
- Empire Housing
- Jubilee Homes
- Classic Cozy (offering NYSERDA grants and subsidies)
- Legal Services of CNY
- Hiscock Legal Aid
- Syracuse Department of Neighborhood & Business Development
The Cooperative Federal Difference
Cooperative Federal's Lending Department does a lot - but also important is what we don't do!
- No pre-payment penalties on any of our loans. You pay interest only for the time you use the money borrowed.
- No commissions. Our loan officers do not make commission from your loan, so that they can advise you based on what is good for you, not what makes a commission.
This is another benefit of membership in a nonprofit, community-owned credit union.
Contact a Mortgage Specialist
Ready to get started? You can contact the Mortgage Department directly.
*Cooperative Federal is not responsible for content on outside websites.
All Credit Union loan programs, rates, terms and conditions are subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for current rates, terms and conditions.