Cooperative Federal has been Syracuse's local mortgage lender since 1986, offering mortgages for purchase, refinance, construction and home improvement for owner-occupied as well as investment properties. Whether you're a first-time homebuyer or just looking for a better lender, our non-profit credit union has a home loan that is right for you.
Service Area: We generally limit mortgage lending to the Greater Syracuse region. Before applying for a mortgage, please review information on how to join our Credit Union.
*Clicking this link will take you away from www.cooperativefederal.org. Cooperative Federal is not responsible for content on outside websites.
You can also email the mortgage team or give us a call at (315) 473-0244.
- Fixed Rate Mortgages have interest rates that stay the same over the life of the loan. This is a good fit if you plan to live in your home for many years.
- 5/1 Hybrid ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) have fixed interest rates for the first five years and adjust annually after that (up or down, depending on the current market). We have caps on how much the rate can adjust each year, and you get the benefit of a lower initial interest rate and monthly payment than you'd get on a fixed rate mortgage. This may be the most affordable option for many first-time buyers, or for homebuyers that plan to move again after a few years.
- FHA Mortgages allow for low down payments and have relaxed qualification guidelines.
- VA Loans provide special mortgage terms for veterans and active duty military personnel.
- USDA Mortgages are available for low and moderate income households in select areas.
What we offer is important - but also important is what we don't do:
- No commissions. Our loan officers do not make commission from your loan, so that they can advise you based on what is good for you, not what makes a commission.
- No pre-payment penalties on any of our loans. You pay interest only for the time you use the money borrowed.
This is another benefit of membership in a nonprofit, community-owned credit union. Read more about our unique mission and the values at the heart of our work.
Depending on your situation and the type of mortgage you're seeking, we may refer you to our one of our mortgage partners.
- Owners Choice is a company founded by credit unions, to serve credit union members.
- CU Members Mortgage has been working with credit union members across the US for over 35 years, and is proud to be privately owned -- allowing them to focus on credit union member needs, not Wall Street motives.
When you work with these partners, you're still working with Coop Fed! We earn revenue from your mortgage, helping to support our community development mission -- and we're always here to assist with any issues that arise.
In addition to mortgages and home equity loans, we have programs and connections to help you succeed.
Apply for a Home Loan
Ready to get started? Send an email to the Mortgage Team, submit an Online Application, or call (315) 473-0244.
Documents required for mortgage applications:
- Paystubs for the last 1 month (consecutive pay periods)
- Tax returns for the 2 most recent years
- Bank statements for the past 2 months
You can submit these documents when you send in your application, or bring them along when you meet with a Mortgage Specialist.
All Credit Union loan programs, rates, terms and conditions are subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for current rates, terms and conditions.