Skimming Alert - Protect Your Card Information
A "skimming" scheme has been detected at several Walmart locations in Central NY. Fake card reader devices were found at cash registers - potentially stealing debit & credit card information as customers made their purchases. Please read on to learn more and safeguard your account.
Skimming dates and locations
Skimmer devices were found at the following Walmart locations. Read the story from News Channel 9 for more details including which cash register lanes were targeted.
- Auburn - July 2 to July 5
- Camillus - July 2 to July 5
- Canandaigua - July 2 to July 5
- Central Square - July 2 to July 5
- Cortlandville - July 2 to July 5
- East Syracuse - July 2 to July 5
- Geneva - July 2 to July 5
- Granby - July 2 to July 5
- Ithaca - July 5 to ?
- Johnson City - July 5 to July 8
- Oswego - July 2 to July 5
- Painted Post - July 3 to ?
- Waterloo - July 2 to July 5
What to do if you were affected
If you believe you may have been exposed, please take the following steps right away:
- Notify your credit union or bank. For cards issued by Cooperative Federal, please send us an email and we will order you a replacement card with a different card number -- free of charge (standard shipping).
- Notify local police. Contact the police department for the town or city where the Walmart is located.
- Monitor your account. Keep watch on your account or credit card statements and report any suspicious activity.
Learn more and stay safe